In January 2014 Transparency International – Bulgaria organizes a series of training seminars which will take in six towns in the country on the subject of “Transparency and Control in Public Procurement”.
The main aim of the seminars is to present information regarding key risks and innovative means for prevention of corruption in public procurement, which proved to be one of the most issue prone areas in public funds expenditure in Bulgaria. Transparency International – Bulgaria seeks to support the efforts of business entrepreneurs to achieve fair and competitive business environment, and also to cooperate for capacity development of the institutions administering public procurement procedures. The training seminars will present novel opportunities for civil society and the media for exercising effective independent control.
The following topics will be covered within the scope of the seminars:
- Main risks in the phases of preparation, awarding and contract execution in public procurement
- Indicators for transparency and integrity in public procurement
- Methods for civil monitoring implemented by Transparency International – Bulgaria
- Integrity Pact as a novel mechanism for prevention of corruption risks and enhanced transparency and control in public procurement
The training seminars will take place in:
- Stara Zagora and Vratsa on 10 January 2014
- Burgas and Veliko Tarnovo on 17 January 2014
- Plovdiv and Ruse on 24 January 2014
The training seminars are implemented with the financial support of Integrity Initiative of the World Bank as part of the project Promoting Integrity Through Advocacy: Counteracting Corruption in Public Procurement. The main goal of the initiative is to contribute towards achievement of the standards of integrity and transparency in public procurement contracts with significant public interest by changing policies in the field.